Sunday, September 13, 2015

September 10, 2015 -- Dr. Edwards II Call

So today I received a call from Dr. E II. He just wanted to call and see how I was doing since the surgery is 4 days out. Also he wanted to update me on a situation that arose. He and his dad (one of the other surgeons working on my case) looked over my x-rays and MRI’s and noticed something. My L5 vertebra appeared to be very stiff. They were worried that it might have fused itself to the sacrum, which in my age, is very strange. Since I’m still young, there should be no stiffness. He says that there is a millimeter of space between my L5 and sacrum but it could still be stuck. So there are two things that could happen:

           1. They’ll try to keep pulling on the vertebra and see if they could pull the L5 free

(or)

2. The only other option is a vertebrectomy. Disconnecting my L5 from the L4 and placing the     L4 on top of the sacrum. In which case it will only be a 2-day surgery and I will be out a         few days after the 21st.


         This new piece of information is of course very alarming. I’ve been so excited about the idea that I will finally be able to have a “normal” body shape and everything will be restored to its original design. Now with this small possibility that my L5 vertebra might be stuck… I am freaking out and very nervous. But Dr. E II was very clear that he will do his best to keep my L5 in the game and move it all above the sacrum. So my fingers are crossed and my lips hot with fervent prayer that everything will work out the way it was originally planned. Can't believe its all happening in 4 days!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yana,

    I found your blog while I was researching spondyloptosis info + Dr. Edwards II. I hope everything went okay. I'm a 23 y.o with a similar spondy journey. Since this case is so rare.. It would be super helpful to talk to you. Please don't hesitate to contact me at allianiskina@gmail.com

    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Allison
    Allison

    ReplyDelete