Sunday, September 13, 2015

June 22, 2015 -- An Appointment with Dr. Karami

     Today I had an appointment with Dr. Karami of Kaiser Permanente. My sister and I were told that I had a better chance of getting Kaiser to cover my surgeries if I had Dr. Karami on my side. So we went to talk with him. Right off the bat, he was on our side. It was honestly a little bit too good to be true. I kept waiting for him to turn on us during the conversation. But he didn’t. Dr. Karami kept saying how he hated how money was a huge factor to why Kaiser didn’t cover a lot of surgeries. He believed that the patient’s quality of life should always be the #1 factor in these types of decisions. My sister and I were very excited that we finally had someone in the Kaiser system on our side. Unfortunately, in all the excitement we forgot to ask him to write a letter to Kaiser saying he supported our appeal and to sign it. Because later I learned from my sister that she called Kaiser and Dr. Karami had changed his mind. We figure that he had a talk with Dr. Jenkins or other top chair people and they convinced him to not side with us. So if you are ever in this type of situation, no matter what, get whoever you just got on your side to write their consent and to sign it right away and for you to get a copy!!

     So I got a plan with BlueCross. I made sure to call one of their representatives to make sure that my surgeries would be covered by my plan and a huge chunk would be. We are still going to try to get Kaiser to cover my surgeries, but in case they don’t I need to have back-up insurance.


     Oh, and we set the dates for my surgeries: September 14, 21, and 28. Three more months and this whole ordeal will be over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment